Hawai'i Space Grant Consortium, Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, University of Hawai'i, 1996
To design and build a model of recreational facilities for a human settlement on the Moon.
"Moon ABCs Fact Sheet"
such as cardboard boxes
and tubes, blocks, hoses,
straws, string, pins, rubber
bands, tape, etc.
- What value does entertainment have?
- What do you do for entertainment? Brainstorm other forms of entertainment which people enjoy doing.
- Reviewing your list from Question 2, what activities require you to consider the physical environment? What features of the environment does each activity depend upon?
- What value do you think entertainment would have on the Moon? (Would the Moonbase settlers need entertainment?)
- Review the "Moon ABCs Fact Sheet." Which of the recreational activities on your list do you think would be possible on the Moon? Include in your answer which activities would be the most practical and popular.
- Remembering that the Moon has features different from those of Earth, what might be applied to developing new forms of recreation?
- Design recreational facilities for the Moonbase inhabitants which satisfy any special recreational needs you think they will have and include some new forms of recreation based on the "Moon ABCs Fact Sheet." You may assume that ample electricity will be available.
- Construct a model or models of the facilities based on your design. It must include the application of at least four facts from the "Moon ABCs Fact Sheet." For example, how will the Moon's gravity affect your designs.
- Make detailed and labeled sketches of the models.
Go to "Moon ABCs Fact Sheet."
Return to Lunar Life Support.
Return to Hands-On Activities home page.